Afghan migrant accused of killing dog walker not ‘fit to plead or stand trial’ | UK | News
The man appeared in Southwark Crown Court via videolink from Broadmoor Hospital in Berkshire in the 15 minute hearing as a prosecutor told how he had been assessed by a psychiatrist, who concluded he was not currently “fit to plead or stand trial”. Prosecutor Deanna Heer KC said: “(The psychiatrist) has not indicated any timeframe of how long the defendant will remain unfit, if he’s likely to recover and matters of that nature so we do not know if the defendant is likely to become fit”.
It is alleged that Mr Dawood was “running amok” with a large knife during the attack which saw Mr Broadhurst stabbed 14 times.
A previous hearing was told that Mr Dawood is an Afghan refugee with leave to remain in the UK until 2027.
He had allegedly been due to leave his accommodation in Uxbridge in three days when he is accused of launching a knife attack on October 27.
That day, his landlord Shahzad Farrukh, 45, had gone to the annex where he was living and found him allegedly armed with a large knife.
Mr Farrukh ran out of the house to seek assistance from neighbours in Midhurst Gardens, the court heart.
He was left with “life-changing injuries” while a 14-year-old boy, who cannot be named, has since been discharged from hospital after receiving knife injuries to his hands.
Ms Heer added in a previous hearing: “The police were called and arrived on the scene soon afterwards where they found Mr Broadhurst lying injured in the street and despite the best efforts of emergency medical services they were unable to save his life and his life was pronounced extinct just before 5.45pm.”
The Home Office has confirmed Mr Dawood entered the UK clandestinely via lorry in 2020. He was granted asylum and leave to remain in 2022.
A provisional trial date has been listed for July, lasting up to three weeks.









