Migrant centre on ‘brink of collapse’ after influx of 1,000 African asylum seekers | World | News
A temporary migrant centre in the Spanish enclave of Ceuta on the North African coast has become overwhelmed by the number of arrivals from Morocco. Since the start of 2026, the reception centre (CETI) has seen the arrival of nearly 1,000 migrants, with authorities now warning it is on the “brink of collapse” due to overcrowding and poor hygienic conditions.
As authorities attempt to relieve the growing pressure, transfers of migrants to the Spanish peninsula have been accelerated, with 123 migrants leaving the enclave on February 17 alone, to be redistributed across various regions on the mainland. Some 1,000 migrants currently live in the centre, which has a capacity for only 512 people. To cope with the number of arrivals, the city has resorted to using garages and sports facilities to house migrants, even though these spaces do not comply with security regulations.
“The situation in the centre has reached a critical level,” warned the Spanish nursing union (SATSE) in a press release. The migrants “are crammed together, several of them sleeping on the same mattress, in space which is poorly ventilated and poorly lit, and with unacceptable hygiene conditions,” with cigarette ends and food leftovers thrown on the floor, it added.
The union also shared concerns for the health of the migrants amid the poor hygienic conditions, warning of potential scabies epidemics.
“People should be treated with dignity; this means not piling them in a garage like boxes,” said Elisabeth Muñoz, spokesperson for SATSE Ceuta, according to InfoMigrants.
*** Ensure our latest news headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings. ***
The centre for minors is also saturated. As of early February, over 350 young people were accommodated at the shelter, which has a capacity of 81. Approximately 65% of these unaccompanied minors were later transferred to emergency shelters.
Numerous migrants from sub-Saharan Africa or Morocco attempt every year to reach the Spanish enclaves of Melilla and Ceuta – the only land borders with the EU in Africa. So far in 2026, nearly 1,000 migrants, including 100 minors, have reached Ceuta so far in 2026, according to the Spanish Ministry of the Interior – a 600% increase compared to 2025, when only 137 reached the enclave over the same period.
“The unstable weather and repeated sea storms have contributed to an increase in the number of crossing attempts,” in recent weeks, said the Moroccan researcher, Ali Zoubeidi. Many people took advantage of the floods and Storm Harry, which tied up the hands of the Moroccan security services, to try to reach the Spanish enclave.
Growing numbers have tried to reach the enclave by sea because of the militarisation of the land border. Though a short distance, strong currents and rocks along the shore make the journey extremely dangerous. At least 40 migrants died in 2025 while attempting to reach the Spanish enclave by swimming around the Tarajal seawall, using wetsuits and fins.









