Published On: Wed, Jul 3rd, 2024
World | 2,819 views

Jay Slater search: Ex-cop reveals why teen was ‘scared’ | World | News


A former police detective has revealed new insights into the disappearance of Jay Slater, suggesting the 19-year-old may have left his holiday rental in Tenerife out of fear. Slater, an apprentice bricklayer from Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, vanished on June 17 after reportedly leaving the property named Casa Abuela Tina.

Mark Williams-Thomas, known for his involvement in high-profile missing persons cases, shared that Slater seemed hesitant to return to the rental property despite practical reasons to do so. According to the investigator, Slater indicated he couldn’t go back and was seen walking on a track, away from the main road.

The former detective, who has been assisting Slater’s family in the search efforts, also mentioned a Snapchat video allegedly posted by Slater during his journey to the property. The video reportedly claimed involvement in the theft of a Rolex watch, although this detail has not been independently verified.

He said: “We have received information that would suggest Jay left the rental property feeling scared and that he would not return to the rental, even though that would have been the most sensible course of action, and also where he could have charged his phone and got water.”

He added: “He was told to go back to the rental. He said he could not do that and that he had already been walking 30 minutes and that he was now off the road and walking on a track, where there were loose stones.”

Mr Williams-Thomas claimed: “On route Jay posted a Snapchat saying that they had taken a £12,000 Rolex from a person. We have been unable to validate this in terms of a reported theft. However, friends of Jay he would not make this up and the watch was the subject of a later conversation between them.”

Williams-Thomas stressed that Slater’s companions at the rental property, two British men who have since left the island, have been cleared of suspicion by Spanish authorities. He underscored that despite initial concerns of criminal involvement, there is no evidence supporting a kidnapping or third-party interference in Slater’s disappearance.

The investigator highlighted the challenges in the ongoing search, noting the efforts of volunteers and urging landowners in the Teno Rural Park area to assist by checking their properties. He expressed hope that these collective efforts would lead to further clues about Slater’s whereabouts.

Slater was last heard from when he sent his location to friends via Snapchat and WhatsApp at around 8:50 am, shortly before his phone battery died. Williams-Thomas concluded his statement by appealing for sensitivity from the public and media, stressing the impact of speculation and inaccurate information on Slater’s distressed family.

As the investigation continues into its third week, the search for Jay Slater remains a global concern, with efforts focused on piecing together his last known movements and ensuring accurate reporting amid the family’s emotional ordeal.

The investigator added: “I have spoken to lots of witnesses and have a clear picture of what happened overnight of Sunday 16th through to the morning of 17th June. We know that shortly before 6am on Monday 16th June Jay left the area of Veronica’s Strip, Las Americas, in a Seat Leon hire car with two males casually known to him.

“Jay and a number of his friends had spent time with them on and off over the previous two days. All three males, including Jay, then travelled north via the main motorway, the TF-1, to go to the two males’ holiday rental Casa Abuela Tina in Masca, which was about an hour away.

“Not long after arriving at the rental Jay, at around 7am, Jay had contact with various friends via social media – both inside and outside the rental.

“During these calls various video chats were had and pictures sent, including the one he took on the doorstep, which they are confident is him, wearing a throw or blanket from the apartment and his black and green Air Max trainers that he had gone out in that night.

“We know around 0800 there was a level of communication with the host of the rental property in which she communicated via hand digits to him that the bus would leave at 10am from the bus stop by the apartment. With this, Jay walked off turning left and up the hill.

“Jay had an Apple iPhone. Apple Maps takes you that route if walking back to Los Cristianos, where he was staying. We know then at 8.49am and 8.50am Jay sent his location via both snapchat and WhatsApp to two friends. We can confirm that it was Jay using his phone at this stage.

“The location was fixed by GPS and we have done tests in that area and it is accurate to five to 10 metres. The fixed point is the Barranco Juan Lopez hiking path – which fits the description given by the witnesses that spoke to him stating that he was on a stony path.

“From this point no further contact is had with Jay because his phone battery dies and there have been no confirmed sightings of him.”



Source link