Published On: Mon, Jul 8th, 2024
World | 2,832 views

Jay Slater search hope reignited as ‘hunters and dogs’ flood Tenerife | World | News


Fresh hopes have emerged in the search for missing British teenager Jay Slater as dozens of hunters with dogs will descend on the remote labyrinth-like location where he disappeared three weeks ago. 

The 19-year-old has not been seen since June 17 when his last location was recorded in the rugged and mountainous wilderness of the Rural de Teno national park.

Spanish police called off the official search and rescue operation on June 30 after a painstaking operation to comb the area for clues was scaled back, the investigation itself into Jay’s disappearance remains open. 

Jay’s parents Debbie Duncan and Warren Slater, as well as the rest of his family, have not given up hope of finding the youngster and a gofundme page to assist their own search has raised more than £50,000. 

However, a new hunting season means the countryside where Jay went missing will now also be flooded by locals with dogs who are taking part in the annual partridge hunt. 

A local woman told Sky News: “There will be different people in the area and a better chance of finding him.”

Traditionally, partridge hunting involves using dogs to go into the undergrowth and then ‘point’ to the birds which are disturbed for the hunter to shoot, other popular methods employ large teams of ‘beaters’ who move in a line through vegetation to flush out the partridge ahead of a line of hunters with guns. 

The Spanish Guardia Civil police force has previously spoken of the difficulty of searching the rough terrain of the national park, which is dotted with steep ravines and dense undergrowth.

Officers had been seen using drones and dogs during their own search but without success up until June 30 when the operation was called off.

Jay’s mother Ms Duncan has said donations will also be used to fund sending more volunteer searchers to the area her “beautiful boy” went missing.  

The teenager, from Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, disappeared after setting off to walk back to his accommodation on the holiday island on June 17.

In a statement on the GoFundMe appeal Get Jay Slater Home, which had raised almost £50,000 as of Wednesday, Debbie Duncan thanked the “vast” generosity of donors, saying her family are “grateful for all of your support and kindness during this unimaginable time”.

Ms Duncan wrote that part of the funds will be used to support volunteers hunting for Mr Slater in the mountains near to where his last phone call was traced. Mountaineers and others are assisting the family.  

She went on: “We are currently looking after Paul Arnett, putting together a package of any equipment and essentials he needs and going up to do a drop for him.

“We are also supporting Callum Fahim and his group with accommodation and other essentials.”



Source link