Published On: Mon, Jul 8th, 2024
World | 4,820 views

Jay Slater update as ex-Army officer slams first Tenerife search | World | News


A former serviceman has launched an attack on Spanish police for failing to be sufficiently forensic in their search for missing British teenager Jay Slater.

Christopher Pennington who was a British Army reservist moved to Tenerife in 2006. He was thrown into the spotlight after finding pair of sunglasses with a lens punched out of them very close to where Jay’s phone lost signal, days after the official search was called off.

He’s since garnered 30,000 TikTok followers, looking to him to find the missing apprentice bricklayer. Speaking to MailOnline in Parque Rural de Teno, where the search for Jay has been focused, he told the outlet: “This area has not been searched properly.

“You can tell, the authorities have stuck to the paths because they’ve assumed Jay did too. But that’s not how you conduct a thorough search.”

Jay has been missing since June 17, having attended the NRG music festival on the popular Canary island. His parents quickly scrambled onto flights to the Canary Island to help the search, which has now officially been stood down, pending any further leads.

Helicopters, drones, and search dogs were deployed to find the Lancastrian, however on June 30 Spanish authorities downed tools, leaving Jay’s heartbroken parents to conduct their own hunt with volunteers at the helm.

On June 28, the force had appealed for volunteer associations, such as firefighters and individual volunteers who are experts in rugged terrain to assist in a “busqueda masiva” – massive search – on Saturday.

The search in the village of Masca, near his last-known location, took in a steep rocky area, including ravines, trails and paths

Mr Slater had attended the music festival with two friends before his disappearance, and his last known location was the Rural de Teno Park in the north of the island – which was about an 11-hour walk from his accommodation.

His distraught mum Debbie Duncan said in a statement following the announcement that the official search had been called off: “We are a very close family and are absolutely devastated about his disappearance.

“Words cannot describe the pain and agony we are experiencing. He is our beautiful boy with his whole life ahead of him and we just want to find him.”

Family and friends of Jay continue to scour the hills for their missing loved one.



Source link